Scuba Diving Medical
Are you Fit to Dive?
There are some medical conditions which may preclude you from learning to scuba dive (see section 3).
In Australia it is a requirement all students be medically fit to dive.
PRO DIVE in Australia, Asia and the Pacific require the following from all students.
- All Students are required to complete a Standard Diving Medical Statement. Depending on the responses to the questions asked, you may be required to complete a full Dive Medical.
- PRO DIVE in Sydney (PRO DIVE Manly and PRO DIVE Coogee) recommend that you should complete a dive medical particularly if there is any doubt in your mind. If you are under the age of 18 year or 45 years and over, we do require you to complete a full Dive Medical and must be unconditional.
- If you are required to complete a dive medical for SSI click here for PADI click here.
Please Note: Not all Dive Centres have adopted the international standard and it is important to check with us, the specific requirements of the dive centre you choose to complete your training with.
Medical conditions that will require further investigation include but not limited to:
- Asthma, wheezing or hay fever(current or history of same):
- Chronic lung disease
- Lung collapse
- High Blood Pressure
- Injury to the spinal column, brain, heart or heart disease
- Problems equalizing your ears or ear surgery as well as sinuses
- Regular dizzy spells
- Taking medication for chronic conditions not already mentioned.
All students are required to be able to swim. During the training you will complete a 200 meter swim plus 10 minute float. You can use a variety of swim strokes to complete the swim and rest by floating on your back at any time.
Certified Divers - Fitness to dive;
All dive operators will require you to complete a Dive Medical Statement before joining a dive. If you have a pre existing medical condition, recently had surgery of any kind or take medication for a chronic condition, you will be required to bring a signed letter from your doctor stating that you are fit to dive. This letter must be issued within 3 months of doing the diving activity.